Old Camp Floyd Photos
Brevet Brigadier General Albert Sidney Johnston
Gold coins of various denominations.
Silver coins of various denominations.
Area 16 finds (near the Department of Utah Headquarters) for April 26, 1996. Artifacts included buttons and bullets, a number 0 insignia, part of a Hardee hat pin, a fired percussion cap, an 1836 capped bust dime and an 1853 $2.5 gold piece, among other things. This area was near the mouth of the canyon and included a variety of buttons and bullets (.54, .58, and .69 caliber Minies and .52 caliber Sharps), indicating a variety of troops were in the area.
Area 13 finds (Second Dragoons) on November 15, 1995. The artifacts included part of a spur, harness and saddlebag hardware, buttons, bullets, an 1857 quarter dollar, an 1843 $5 gold piece, and an 1838 $5 gold piece. The Second Dragoon camp was identified by number 2 insignia, dragoon buttons, saddlebag and harness hardware, .52 caliber Sharps bullets and .44 caliber round balls. The Second Dragoons were heavily armed mounted troops, they were equipped with swords, .52 caliber Sharps carbines, and .44 caliber Colt pistols. The Sharps carbine was a breach loading weapon with a short barrel, making it ideal for use on horseback.
Area 17 finds (Fifth Infantry) on April 15, 1996. Artifacts included buttons, bullets, one knapsack hook, two watch keys, custom made poker chips, and percussion caps, among other things. The Fifth Infantry camp was identified by number 5 insignia, infantry buttons, knapsack hooks, and .69 caliber Minie bullets.
Area 10 finds (Tenth Infantry) on July 26, 1995. Artifacts included military insignia, buttons, bullets, kepi hat buckles, an 1856 half-dime, an 1857 dime, an 1857 quarter dollar, and an 1848 $5 gold piece (a half eagle). The Tenth Infantry camp was identified by number 1 and number 0 insignia, infantry buttons, knapsack hooks, and .54 caliber and .58 caliber Minie bullets.
Harold Thomson, Carrie Bylund, and Duane Bylund on the west side of the Second Dragoon camp. Photo taken October 30, 1999. View looking north-northeast.
Roger Nielson and his son Andrew Nielson surveying Old Camp Floyd from near the rock outcropping where Joseph Heger made his 1858 sketch. This view is looking northeast. This photo was taken in the spring of 2003.
This is the July, 1858, Joseph Heger sketch of Old Camp Floyd (known simply as Camp Floyd at that time). The Tenth Infantry is located below Mount Olympus and the Mixed Corps Battalion is located below Box Elder Peak. The camp goes as far south as under Provo Peak. Much of the camp is not visible on the left. This view is looking east. Compare this sketch with the photo below.
Old Camp Floyd is located at the base of the Oquirrh Mountains - some two or three miles away in this 2003 photo. View looking northwest. Old Camp Floyd should not be mistaken with Camp Floyd near Fairfield. Old Camp Floyd was the first permanent camp in Cedar Valley and was only occupied from July 8, 1858, to September 10, 1858.